Monday, May 6, 2013

The Carnage & Starting Over

These past few weeks have been trying. Very trying.
The gophers (it has been confirmed) are attacking with a vengeance. They've pulled down into their holes almost every single gorgeous, blooming nasturtium that I planted. My beloved nasturtiums.


This area used to house my blooming nasturtiums. After taking these pictures...even more of the plants are gone.


In an effort to deter the gophers, I dug a trench and laid hardware cloth against the fence where they were entering. Did it work?
Nope.

I am now re-drawing and re-planning the garden. I basically have to pull everything out...replant what isn't damaged in gopher baskets. I may add some additional raised beds as well, so long as they have hardware cloth underneath them. 


In better news, my near dying passionfruit vine has blooms! I've realized that the vine was probably munched by gophers. It's wasn't my fault!
I still will probably need to sacrifice her, but for now, I will enjoy the gorgeous blooms.


My gardening ideas have drastically changed over the past few weeks as my dreams of my "little garden" have crashed. I have been knocked down but am getting up and learning from this experience. I am re-focusing my attention and re-invisioning my dreams of this space.
I will report back soon!

xoxo
Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment